Monday, March 22, 2010

Wine Drinkers . . . Beware!


..., originally uploaded by Knit Girl....
I find wine drinkers to be a peculiar bunch of people.  I find the whole thing to be rather pretentious . . . ostentatious if you will.

To me, most wines taste rather similar.  Albeit some are drier or sweeter than others.  But if you were to give me a taste from a $15.00 bottle of wine and one from a $150.00 bottle, I probably couldn't tell the difference to save my life.  And to the most seasoned sommelier, I would probably horrify them by choosing the $15.00 bottle as the best.

I have no concern that a particular wine was produced on a rather quiet hillside in France which inevitably infused the body with flavours including rare mushrooms, lavender, and sage.  I will not lose sleep if I don't know a dessert wine from a table wine.  I'm the type of girl who would rather swill the wine from a plastic cup than worry about if I'm holding the stem of the glass properly.  And I will openly mock anyone who tries to convince me that their particular wine is superior -- that it's complexity is divine because "it continues to reveal different things about itself".

So the other night when faced with this particular conversation, I quietly ignored the discussion and tossed the corks to my husband.  "These will make a fantastic image," I told him.  I think it worked.

When I find someone I respect writing about an edgy, nervous wine that dithered in the glass, I cringe. When I hear someone I don't respect talking about an austere, unforgiving wine, I turn a bit austere and unforgiving myself. When I come across stuff like that and remember about the figs and bananas, I want to snigger uneasily. You can call a wine red, and dry, and strong, and pleasant. After that, watch out....

Kingsley Amis
Everyday Drinking   

No comments:

Post a Comment